Tuesday, August 26, 2008

SOUTH SIDE GIRL

If you did not know or understand Michelle Obama before her Monday night speech at the DNC, you definitely knew and understood her afterwards.  Her mission was to humanize her
husband, and for skeptics to see her husband as the next President of the United States.  She did everything that she set out to do and she did it perfectly.  
    During this speech, she dismissed those who questioned her patriotism.  A few months back, republicans took her statement in which she said that she was "really proud" of her country for the first time, and made it a negative statement.  They tried to say that this statement showed that she was unpatriotic.  
    This was a very touching and genuine speech.  Afterwards her two daughter joined her, while they spoke to Presidential hopeful Senator Barack Obama via satellite from Missouri.  Obama's first statement to the crowd was, "How about Michelle Obama?" "Now you know why I asked her out so many times even though she said no.  You want a persistent president."  
    She used this speech to explain and show ways in which Obama unites people together, while she also mentioned many things that made people see that Obama is just an ordinary man with extraordinary plans for this country.  She said, "Barack doesn't care where you're from, or what your background is, or what party- if any- you belong to.  That's not how he sees the world.  He knows that thread that connects us- our belief in America's promise, our commitment to our children's future - is strong enough to hold us together as one nation even when we disagree."
    The whole thing was phenomenal. I was proud to be a woman, a BLACK american, and a BARACK OBAMA supporter watching this speech.

Below is part of the video, "South Side Girl," that the audience watched, which was a biographical film narrated by her mother.  It covered her entire life, everything from her childhood to her career in law to her apprehension to dating a man with a funny name.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I cried the whole time she spoke. When I was younger and mom and dad asked me what i wanted to be when i grew up, I never thought to say president of the US because i knew that it was impossible. Now, seeing her speak, a black woman like me, I couldn't help but to hold back tears because i knew the barrier was finally broken. I love my country, but like Michelle, for the first time in my life I have realized that you can do anything and be anything if you put your mind to it and keep God first.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE MICHELLE OBAMA!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE MICHELLE OBAMA!!!!! She is clearly my new role model. Its great for young black girls to see that it is possible to achieve great things despite all odds being against them. I am beyond proud to be experiencing this.